All of the characteristics of this surreal location lend themselves to romance and splendor. The backdrop overlooking the pristine lake certainly sets a scene fit for a storybook. For a summer wedding, there is pure magic stirring in the air amongst these mountains here at the Ranch. Let’s take a look at what makes it so special.
Privately owned Piney River Ranch is located about 45 minutes north of Vail Mountain, up a long dirt road – and once you reach its secluded grounds, you can go ahead and put your cell phone away for the time being. There may be no cell phone reception, but this gives way for countless opportunities to truly connect with those around you and create sweet, lasting memories.
This is one of the local’s favorite secret spots for its natural rugged beauty and a seemingly private showcasing from Mother Nature herself. The forty-acre property is brimming with lakes and boasts countless spots for wedding receptions, drool-worthy photos, and finally, your vow ceremony.
The adventurous nature enthusiasts will be in heaven at PRR. When the peak of summer comes to an end and the leaves start to transform to amber and gold, you’re in for a real show. Plenty of hiking trails surround the property leading to various lakes and hidden natural spots – consider this your invitation to come to explore.
Wedding Day Amenities at Piney River Ranch
The Ranch is only open during the warmer months (from June until the end of September), but couples have the option of holding their ceremony indoors or outdoors during that time period.
Essentially, Piney River Ranch is like a wilderness retreat paired with your dream wedding, for up to 200 of your closest friends and family.
The property has a couple of custom log pavilions plus an outdoor terrace that overlooks the lake with the towering Rockies standing proudly behind them, seeming to place their blessing upon the newlyweds.
If you’re not ready for the magic to end on the property after your ceremony, Piney River Ranch has guest cabins (holding up to 40 people between all of them) and glamping tents (sleeping 12 between them) that are available to you and your wedding party for rental.
Their in-house catering service offers several different menu packages that will be served buffet style at your wedding – in true ranch-style fashion to set the full scene. There is also a restaurant on-site serving up some of Colorado’s all time favorite dishes.
Venue Pricing for Ceremonies + Receptions
Piney River Ranch, beyond being drop-dead gorgeous, also offers competitive pricing, especially for these peak summer months. Spots book up quickly though, so be sure to check out their availability as soon as you can.
For receptions, the starting price is $4,500 and the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies is $3,500. If you’re looking for a weekend wedding, Saturdays will cost $13,000 and Friday/Sunday will run you $9,600. Food and beverage pricing is not included in this estimate. It’s worth noting that there is no in-house sound system but you are welcome to make arrangements for that separately!
The venue includes ceremony and reception seating, lounges for getting ready beforehand, a bar, on-site parking, tables + glassware and silverware (etc.), a horseshoe pit, and 20% off canoe rentals the day of your wedding – perfect for out of this world wedding photos.
Activities In and Around Piney River Ranch
Vail is only a scenic and cozy little drive away from the Ranch, with plenty to do for all types of people and ages.
Some favorite attractions include:
- Hiking Trails: Of course there’s Vail Mountain, but PRR itself boasts some awesome hiking to any of its myriad lakes. My favorite (that happens to be an especially popular spot for wedding photos as well) is the Upper Piney River Trail, which is a moderate hike leading to cascading waterfalls and is also a horseback trail. This leads me to…
- Horseback Riding: In case you prefer exploring atop these majestic creatures.
- Exploring Vail Village: From ice-skating to endless shopping, there is no shortage of happenings among these cobblestone streets in this quaint resort town.
- Tubing in Vail at Epic Discovery: Perfect for family fun, come winter or summer.
- Wine Tasting at Root + Flower: For a sophisticated evening sharing nothing but good times.
- Fly Fishing: Piney River Ranch boasts some awesome fly fishing in the summer months with some of the best views around.
- Relaxing at World-Class Spas: Soak up the natural healing energy of the mountains at The Arrabelle or rejuvenate with a deep tissue massage at Sonnenalp Spa.
- Exploring the Culinary Scene: Some go to’s include Sweet Basil, La Tour, Fall Line Kitchen + Cocktails and The Fitz. I do a deeper dive into some restaurants in Vail here that are perfect for wedding receptions.
- Searching for Treasure at Betty Ford Alpine Center: Deemed the world’s highest altitude botanical garden and is scattered with meditation benches for the ultimate relaxation experience.
Capture Your Love For This Lifetime and Beyond with Wedding Photography + Videography
At Dgass Photography, my team and I’s mission is to capture the essence of your love story through short films and photography so that the memories last far beyond just the duration of your special day.
We get to know you as a couple and then reflect all of the things that make you unique through visual storytelling. My specialty is putting couples at ease – I have photographed many love stories and the aim is always to make you feel comfortable so that these moments candidly arise. You focus on being present and I take care of the rest.
Get in touch with me here today so we can start documenting your journey. I look forward to hearing from you and assisting in the creation of the wedding from your wildest dreams.